Take a look at the press release we just received from Tom Shields campaign, where they’re working day and night to end John O’Bannon’s almost-decade long attack on women:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 2nd, 2009
Tony Coppola, 804-929-7616
NEWS RELEASE: SHIELDS CALLS ON O’BANNON TO REPUDIATE MCDONNELL, EXPLAIN OWN EXTREME RECORD AGAINST WOMEN
Henrico-In light of Bob McDonnell’s belief that working women, contraception, and child day care are detrimental to society, Tom Shields is calling on his opponent, incumbent John O’Bannon, to denounce the gubernatorial candidate’s radical views and explain his own extreme record on women’s issues:
- O’Bannon voted to allow pharmacists to confiscate prescriptions for contraception (HB 2373, 2009).
- O’Bannon voted to prohibit public colleges from distributing emergency contraception pills (HB 1414, 2004).
- O’Bannon voted to deny rape victims access to emergency contraception in the emergency room (HB 563, 2002).
- O’Bannon voted against improving “the quality of child day care programs” in the Commonwealth (HJ 259, 2001).
- O’Bannon neglected to vote on a resolution supporting “equal pay for equal work” (HJ 800, 2001).
“The type of extremism espoused by Bob McDonnell is exactly what is wrong with the House of Delegates,” said Shields. “Unfortunately, during his 9 years in office, John O’Bannon has fought to further Bob McDonnell’s radical agenda, voting to reduce access to contraception, voting against improving day care centers, and even failing to support equal pay for women. John O’Bannon needs to not only repudiate Bob McDonnell, he needs to explain his own extreme record on these issues. The 73rd District deserves a Delegate who will bring a new generation of independent leadership that puts aside this extremism and supports all constituents.”