We all know anti-choice legislators and organizations want to outlaw abortion. But did you know that some refuse to even support commonsense measures to prevent unintended pregnancies and reduce the need for abortion?
That’s right, here in Virginia we have to fight hard to protect access to contraception and make sure that young people receive comprehensive, medical accurate sex education—even though we know that access to contraception and education help people make responsible decisions about their health.
NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia is hard at work asking legislators to put prevention first.
Take a look at our legislative agenda for 2009:
1) HB2338: Birth Control Prevention Act: a bill to define contraception in Virginia law, which will prevent efforts by anti-choice legislators to restrict access to contraception.
2) HB2373: Pharmacy Refusal Notification Act: a bill to ensure that pharmacies with pharmacists who refuse to fill prescriptions for contraception post a sign alerting customers that their prescription will not be filled there
3) HB1980: Parents’ Right to Know Act: a bill to make sure parents are notified of their child’s Family Life Education curriculum so they have the option to remove their child from abstinence-only classes.
4) HB1789: Medically Accurate Sex Education Act: a bill to require that everything taught in Virginia’s Family Life Education courses is medically accurate.
Here’s what you can do to support prevention measures this year:
· Ask your legislators to support our prevention agenda.
· Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper.
· Sign up to attend Lobby Day on February 5th.
· Send this post to 5 friends and ask them to get involved, too.